As people of faith responding to the COVID crisis, we know we are called to serve our community during this unprecedented time. Social distancing changes many of our traditional ways of engaging in community life, but we are trying to spotlight opportunities to serve, donate, or otherwise get involved as congregations bring them to our attention. This week we are sharing a call from Central Presbyterian Church for donated bag lunches that they will distribute through Central Mission, their outreach oriented to Austinites facing temporary or prolonged housing insecurity. If you or your congregation would like to donate bagged lunches, here are the specifications:
We have a special request that lunches are made in multiples of 20 – 20 lunches, 40 lunches, or 60 lunches.
Each bag lunch should include all of the following:
• Two sandwiches in a Zip Lock bag
• A piece of fruit
• A small bag of chips
• A cookie or brownie
• A napkin
We ask that sandwiches be:
• Placed in a small Zip Lock bag.
• Dry — no condiments or relish or lettuce, just the bread and stuffing.
• Stuffing can be any one of the following: deli meat & cheese, or peanut butter & jelly. The 2 sandwiches should be the same within each bag.
• Bread should be soft with no poppy seeds.
• Made with clean hands, preferably using gloves.
Notes: A loaf of bread makes 10 sandwiches. A pound of ham or turkey makes 6-8 sandwiches.
Fruit should be soft for chewing – no apples! We ask that fruit be ONE of the following bulleted items:
• One orange or cutie that is seedless and easy to peel
• One banana
• One small bunch of grapes in plastic bag
All of the items should be placed in a brown paper bag with the type of sandwiches written directly on the paper bag.
• Monday – Friday 9:00 a.m. to Noon (if you need to drop-off outside of these times, please let Carolina know)
• Dropped off at the Central Presbyterian church kitchen door in the alley (enter off San Jacinto, between 8th and 9th Sts, look for the black gate on the left)
• Text or call Carolina’s Trevino’s cell phone with any questions (512) 653-7604